Statistics and Facts
Facts About LGBT Binational Couples
- An estimated 36,000 LGBT binational couples are facing imminent separation or already living in exile
- Nearly half — 47% — of LGBT binational couples are raising minor children
- Forty-five percent (45%) of binational families include a latino/a partner
- Nearly 30% of LGBT binational families in the United States — more than 10,000 such families — live in California
- In 79% of binational families, the non-citizen partner is from a country that doesn’t provide immigration benefits to these couples, meaning neither partner is able to sponsor the other for immigration in their home countries
These statistics are from The Williams Project on Sexual Orientation, Law and Public Policy at the UCLA School of Law. For a complete snapshot of LGBT binational families, read the report.
To download Family, Unvalued, a report on the plight of LGBT binational families from Immigration Equality, our affiliated organization, and Human Rights Watch, click here.